Flu Bug and a wedding...

The first week of Dec was a busy week for me. Early beginning of the year, I was asked to be a 'Heng Tai' or brother to James's wedding. As a 'Heng Tai', we must help the groom to overcome obstacles set by the bride's 'Chi Mui's or sisters. I wondered who came up with this idea. . . On friday the 5th, it was tradition for the groom's family to invite friends and relatives for a buffet dinner before the wedding day. I was already down with a flu bug on friday morning. Friday was a busy day, as I had to learn how to make new cookies at the supplier's test kitchen, in the afternoon; I had to give time to the groom by helping him to run some errands, as well as ad hoc things that popped up.

The bargaining and test begins...


By the evening, I was down with fever and I couldn't attend the dinner. The next day, I was up at 5 am. Th entourage must be at the groom's house by 7 am. We leave the house for the bride's home in SS2 by quarter to 8.

Me.. time keeper.. hurry up! Good timing is almost over!!!! Quick! 


Another round of obstacle.... 

By the time the bargaining and test were completed, it was almost half past 8. The tea ceremony began. With bowing and tea pouring to the deities of the household, as first part of the ceremony. The later part was serving tea to the elders of the family. TO and I went off earlier to rest and to go to the groom's house to prepare other things that will be required when the bride and groom returns.

The new couple arrived at the groom's residence around 1 pm. Again, there were lots of bowing, pouring tea to the household deities. And another round of serving tea to the groom's elders and family members. I couldn't help but feeling a bit touched with the whole affair. We left the house around three and I rested at my mum's place before heading to the hotel to do my duty... I was supposed to come in a black tuxedo with silver bow tie and cumber band, unfortunately, the bridal boutique where I rented my tuxedo misplaced my tuxedo and I went ahead without one. The groom nearly threw a fit while he was rehearsing his song dedication . . . so the mayhem has started...

Throughout the wedding dinner, TO, DL, CS, WE, Me and the rest of the other Heng Tais were scurrying about trying to make sure that the event went like clockwork. Albeit some slight mishaps with the food presentation and the sound system during the food presentation, everything went quite well and as planned. By the end of it, everyone was having a blast dancing away with the band playing really nice jazzy pieces. TO and I left early around 12 midnite.

Everyone dressed to the nines....too bad no tuxedo.... haiz....
I slept very well the next day... just glad I did my part without passing out. The sunday was definitely sleep in and watch TV day....

Comments

asd said…
looking good with the suit!!! :)
Mervin Lee said…
thanks.. but you always look good in anything....

Popular Posts