Saigon . . . old and new part 2

7.00 am - Rush hour!!!

Alfresco dining ala local style... Breakfast consisting of simple noodles and coffee.
2nd day for me in Saigon City  or Tan Pho Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC for short) was hectic. I was driven by my client's vietnamese partner 2 hours away form HCMC, to a very nice Buddhist temple perched on top of a hill surrounded by a clear green azure lake. The main entrance of the temple overlooks HCMC's city view and the skyline. It was breathless. The temple itself boast a history of about 265 years. The presiding Abbot is a kind old soul who greeted me in Vietnamese and interesting enough, the smiles and warm welcome broke down the language barrier.

The Temple grounds


After a brief discussion with the head Abbot, I was whisked away back to the city and headed to the construction site. It's a marvel... HCMC is booming and head on with development. I had the impression that Vietnam is trying to catch up with its Neighbors, particularly ASEAN countries so they will have 1st world technology and standard of living, having said that, I hope they have 1st world mentality too!




I've learned that the rich folks here are many, most of them millionaires and billionaires. And they prefer to buy imported stuff, from basic household items, electrical appliances to cars. Vietnamese cars are left hand driven. So I see many imported American cars like the new Ford, Lexus, some Bentleys and loads of Mercedes and BMWs. I've never seen a 5 series or a 3 series, it's all 7 series. When my work at the site is done. While on the site, JW called me from Tan Son Nhat International Airport, He just arrived and he said he'll join us for lunch. And so after finishing my work at the site, I went to New World Hotel, a 5 star hotel specially recommended by the People's Republic of Vietnam Tourism ministry for foreign tourists to pick up JW for a light lunch. I had cambodian noodles, JW had the PHO and my client 's CEO had some simple local food. The noodles were Great!!! Food here is really good with lots of mints, spices and tangy soups. As usual, we had the vietnamese coffees.




After doing consultation work at 2 of their offices, JW and I went to Dang Khoi street for some shopping, This is where the leading fashion brands are located, I see Louis Vuitton, Furla, Birkin, Ferragamo, Chanel, Gucci, CD, Fendi and other international house brands all lined up within the small quaint streets. The old part of Saigon was fashioned after Paris's boulevards, so you feel as if you're in Paris, Big shady trees lined up along the side walks, and cafes were everywhere.


We walked across the Saigon Opera house (it is under renovation now) and you can see the extreme disparity of the rich and the poor. On one street, you see elegantly dressed vietnamese rich and a turn on the left, the locals seated in low stools, having their favorite beverage and eating pho on the side streets.


The evening, my client hosted a formal dinner with the local Government and heads of states, along with the VIPs and  business associates for the mega project at the Rex Hotel, infamous for their clandestine french architecture and french gourmet food. My dinner was hosted by the local counterpart held at New World Hotel. I had a good time eating the buffet course as everything is fresh. I was told never to drink from the taps, as the Government has not upgraded the filtration system. Most old buildings in HCMC is not equipped with standard sewerage systems. So all their waste from the bathroom and water closet flows straight out to the Saigon river... So there's a slight rancid smell of shit around the air if you're nearby the river banks. There's  lots of infrastructure to improve! Water from Hotel and bottled water is safe to consume.

More on part 3....

Comments

TZ said…
wow! the city of Saigon is so nice ... i should pay a visit to Vietnam :-)
Booker said…
gimme one of those little stools and a streetside bowl of pho NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like a pretty power packed trip Merv! Glad u were well fed. he he he

Popular Posts