Saigon.... old and new... part 1

Time is 12.53 am. I can't believe I'm in Thanh Pho Ho Chi Minh City, or better known as Saigon in the old days of decadent 60s. HCMC, back in its heydays before the Vietnam war in the late 60s was a cosmopolitan, vibrant and full of night al-fresco cafes. Earlier morning I was up since 6 am. Tossing and turning, I decided to get out of bed as I'm supposed to be at JW's house for his 'GUO DAI LAI' or Betrothal giving day. So it was a hectic Tuesday for me. By the time we're done at the Bride's house, it was almost 10 am.

When I was done with the day's work, I rushed home and had to pack before leaving at 3 pm for KLIA LCC Terminal. My flight was at 1740hrs, but it was usual of AirAsia for delays.. It was a slight delay, The plane took off around 1800hrs and I left Malaysian air space by the time it was half past 6, I turned my watch an hour behind as Vietnam is 7 hours ahead of GMT.



When I arrived at the Tan Son Nhat International Airport, I was taken by surprised at how modern it was... Everything was brand new. Later As I got out of the arrival hall, I read a plaque that commemorated the construction of the airport. Tan Son Nhat International Airport is the gateway to HCMC, It was a joint venture with the Japanese government. I'm quite impressed.





But nothing prepared me for the traffic conditions in HCMC, Just like Penang, The bikes are the KING of the roads. And everyone here drives on the left side of the road, so it's kind of odd... It's like I'm in Guang Zhou, China. And I see how pedestrians cross the roads, I got shocked.. I swear I'd kill a vietnamese if I drive here!!!

The guys? Hmmm very very cute... Most of them are young looking... I made arrangements with my good friend XY to bring me along as he has been working here for 10 months now. XY introduced me to RH, his vietnamese friend. Before that, my client took me to a posh Vietnamese restaurant in District 1, the CBD of HCMC. I see expatriates here more than the ones we have in KL. And everything is in USD... I 'kaypohed' a bit about rentals over this district, it's around roughly USD 50 per square foot. WOW!!!! SO frigging expensive!!!!

Well, I'm back at my hotel and I'll tell you more on my next parter....

Comments

Legolas said…
I shall go to Vietnam someday.
asd said…
sounds like fun babes... stay safe....
Booker said…
as will i legolas... for the pho and the lepak coffee culture :D
Mervin Lee said…
Lepak all you can when you're at Ho Chi Minh.... and do say:

Xin Dao : Hello

Cam On :
pronounced as kam nggg for thank you

Kham Kui Qui:
pronounced as kam ko qi... for you're welcome

Popular Posts