The night to bid adieu....

I've been hearing voices again. It may sound creepy but then again, it's in my head... nothing creepy to begin with. After the short but heavy workload trip to Vietnam, I've got a funny feeling when I stepped out of the aircraft as I walked to the arrival hall... Yes. I flew AirAsia...

The time was almost 10 pm. I had to rush as fast as I could as I have to attend a wake. Chris of ramblings's father passed-on the wednesday 8th Oct. Being the 'Tai Lo' I am to him, I promised him I'd come straight away once I arrived at KLIA - LCCT. So on Thursday 9th Oct, I left HCMC around evening. Father Will was waiting patiently since 9 pm for my arrival. The waiting for luggage was long as usual, AirAsia has this uncanny habit of making their customers wait for their luggage. I waited for a good 20 minutes before I got hold of my luggage. I whisked pass the immigration and customs as I really have nothing to declare.

Father Will signaled me and in mere minutes he turned to an F1 driver and I swear we were making a 140 km per hour dash in his beat up blue proton saga... I was quiet. I was wondering what to say to him? How shall I give him comfort and courage? Seriously, How does one give assurance and comfort to another who has just lost someone dear?

I sat in silence and ponder. Father Will, being Father Will, was driving silently and never spoke a word. I had to break the silence. "How is he taking it?" Father Will gave me a very sad look, maybe He was tired after a day full of meeting and bad karmic work obstacle. "He seemed ok.... but I don't know for sure..." When I arrived at the Funeral Parlor, it was smack right in the middle of the cemetery grounds. Remember this: Kwang Tung Yi San.... it's the infamous Chinese cemetery situated near the old airport along Jalan Sungai Besi and next to Wisma MAA. The mood was sombre. The site has about 10 halls to cater for the bereaved. There were a 3 other funeral wakes going at the same time as Chris's father.

I stepped out of the car, I took out my ciggie and lit up. Chris came by and said to me, "I can't smoke in front of my relatives... Haiz!!!!" I gave him mine and he took a puff. I gave him a hug... and he clung to me for a while... He didn't teared... I guess he has accepted it.. And Me being there was all he wanted of me... Phew... I finished my last fag and went to the hall to pay my respects. I spoke briefly to his mum and relatives, and I managed to catch up with some old friends that I've lost touch... They knew his brother, Richard. What a small world. . .

Chris asked if I could be there again the next day for the send off and the cremation. I nodded. So I said good bye to Uncle Chen, Uncle Chen was a jovial person. He always laughed and would never raise his voice at Chris. He's a green finger and all those wonderful plants blooming so well outside of the garden are his work. I shall miss Uncle Chen. May you rest well and may your journey to the West be peaceful.
Om Ah Hum.....

Dealing with death has never been my cup of tea. I think it's easier to deal with other people's demise.. but when it comes to my own family's, I'm not sure if I am ever ready as Chris was...  It's hard to say good bye...

Comments

asd said…
hugs.....
Legolas said…
Goodbye's the saddest word we hear from our loved ones.
Lifebook said…
Sorry for your lost.

*hug
Mervin Lee said…
Hey guys.. thanks for all the comfort words... but it shld be directed to Chris... He lost his dad....
Swee said…
Merv, Pls give Chris a HUG next time you see him...
asd said…
so long never see you online... miss you merv....

Popular Posts