Mi Casa....

Yes.. I have begun to settle down in my new home. Just a weird feeling about it. Let me tell you a story about this house. This is the house I grew up in... in the suburb of SEA PARK of PJ. I had 20 years of good memories in this home. Every now and often, I'd stop by to have a look before I bought it over from my parents early this year. And so, in April; the renovation began. Now, it's reborn into a modern home. It used to have four rooms and now, it's just 3 rooms. The house originally had an airwell, then Momma and Daddy Merv decided to make full use of the space by covering it and turning into a large dining hall.

And now, I've made it into an airwell again, well... a courtyard if you will... with ample light and fresh air through lourve windows. Daddy Merv's study room is now my bedroom. My old room is now a study cum guest room. The master bedroom is now a part of the living room. It's a big house... twenty five feet wide and eighty feet long.... yep.. Big for today's standards.

That's what I love about old houses and neighborhoods... they've got this 'lived in' feel. Matured and full of amenities. Did you know, I have a hypermarket, lots of food stalls, kopi tiams, a post office, an LRT station, 3 petrol kiosks, loads of shops and a wet market within walking distance! The neighborhood used to have two cinemas, Paramount and Ruby Theatre. Now, Paramount is converted to a GIANT hypermarket, Ruby was converted into a Church. But it's empty for now... 
For now, it feels like a hotel, but I hope I can spend some time on weekends to make it my own living space, with Merv's signature decor...
At the same time of the moving, My 3rd brother, Peter moved into his new home in Bandar Puteri Puchong, five days before his wedding. So you could imagine, so many things happening within my family. I had cousins from Australia and UK coming over for his wedding, Some stayed at my place, some put up at my other two brother's places in Bandar Utama. Only the Puchong house is empty as it was considered bad luck to allow guests to stay prior to the wedding.. (Momma Merv's list of taboos)....
The Tea ceremony was held at both Bride and Groom's parent's houses. Dinner reception was at Armada Hotel's Overseas Restaurant. Both my brothers held their wedding dinners at Hotels, Peter made the exception as he believed the Chinese restaurants served better food.. Indeed.. His foresight was spot on. Guest went back with a big grin, they loved the food, despite a late start as it was a frenzy, guest lists were missing, people who rsvped didn't attend, those who couldn't make it made it last minute.. very typical of Malaysian wedding dinners... 
I'm just glad it's all over and I can resume my normal routine again... now it's just some rectifications to be done and I believe my home will be up and running by end of the year...
Housewarming... yeah.. probabaly I'd kill three birds with a stone... celebrate, Christmas, New Year Eve and New Years in one go!

Comments

Booker said…
I LOOOOOOVE the sunlight flooding the place!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!
Mervin Lee said…
Hi Books.. thanks.. still need a lot of tweaking here and there... but when it's all done up.. you'll be given a personal tour.... :D

Keeping fingers crossed!
asd said…
its very good use of natural light... well done!

weird how your parents closed the airwell up and you opened it. that's how things come in and out of fashion i guess...

which is my room again???
Mervin Lee said…
Hi asd.... back then, they require more space as the family is big... 4 kids n 2 adults... now me living alone in the house.. It's too big for me... :D
Kooky Kwerks said…
it's gorgeous, merv! i want, i want! i'd so need so much money to make my home look half as pretty as yours!

Popular Posts